About the Recipe
This smoothie is chock-full of health-giving ingredients that's sure to give you an energy boost and glowing skin.
Just take a look at how the ingredients in this smoothie healthify you:
- Contains a significant amount of the following micronutrients: Vitamins B5, B6, C, E, K, Folate, Potassium; and small amounts of Vitamins A, B1, B2, B3, magnesium, manganese, copper, iron, and zinc.
- Contains the phytochemicals lutein and zeaxanthin that are good for your eye health.
- Low-carb, super low sugar and majority of its carbs is fiber which is great for digestion.
- Cholesterol and sodium free
- Low in saturated fat but high in healthy monounsaturated fats.
Read here for a more detailed description of how avocados improve your health:
- Loaded with antioxidants that help neutralize free radicals or molecules that damage your cells, reducing disease risk and supporting brain health. Some studies suggest that they may protect against breast, mouth, esophageal and colon cancer.
- Improves blood sugar levels.
- Promotes healthy digestion because of their high fiber content.
- one of the lowest sugar containing fruits on the planet
- Promotes a healthy immune system due to the following micronutrients they contain: Vitamin C, Vitamin K1, Manganese, Copper and Folate.
- Anti-inflammatory so it may help reduce the risk of diabetes heart disease, hypertension and obesity/metabolic syndrome.
- Shown to lower LDL or the bad cholesterol which may lead to reduced heart disease risk.
- May help reduce wrinkling and other skin aging signs because of their ellagic acid content.
- Helps fight inflammation and stress and protects against heart disease and cancer because of its high Vitamin E content, a powerful antioxidant.
- Rich in magnesium, a mineral that is needed in more than 300 human enzyme reactions. so, it helps with controlling blood sugar and producing energy, as well as muscle relaxation and detoxification processes
- Dairy free and vegan. It does not cause bloating and mucus prouction especially for those with lactose intolerance or who cannot drink cow's milk.
- Contains Vitamins B1, B6, folate, calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium.
- A good source of alpha linolenic acid (ALA), which the body can convert to the more beneficial omega 3: EPA and DHA--good for heart, brain, and joint health.
- Helps with balancing hormone health, especially for those in perimenopause, that period just before menopause when hot flashes begin.
- May reduce the risk of diabetes and the development of tumors, most probably due to its rich lignan content.
Some tips about this delicious smoothie ingredients:
If almond milk is too expensive or unavailable in your area, you can substitute soy milk or coconut milk instead. I personally prefer coconut milk as soy tends to be GMO. If you do use soy milk, please choose an organic or a Non-GMO Project verified one.
If you are able to, use raw, non-heat treated honey as this kind of honey will still have the beneficial enzymes.
With ground flaxseeds, it's better if you buy the flaxseeds whole then grind only what you need. You can use the grinder attachment of your blender. Flaxseeds are best stored in the refrigerator as the oil in flaxseeds is delicate and gets rancid easily.
½ ripe avocado, flesh only
1 cup (125g) frozen berries
1 ½ cups (350ml) almond milk, soy milk or coconut milk
2 tsp. honey
1 Tbsp. ground flaxseeds
Place all the ingredients into a high-speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy. Divide the smoothie mixture between 2 glasses and serve immediately.
Nutrition per serving: